Monday

Watercoloring with Distress Markers



Hi everyone! Dina here! It's time again for Inspire Me Monday. Yay!

Some of you asked for a step-by-step watercoloring tutorial after I posted the tag tutorial a couple of months ago. I love mixed media work, and when I watercolor I typically combine a variety of products, from markers to tube paints to pans and pots, to inks and even pencils. 'Creative me' is so very different in personality from 'everyday me' - and this is testimony to the whole concept of left-brain and right-brain focus... 'Everyday me' is predictable and reserved, methodical, neither energetic nor spontaneous. I thrive on routine and plan. Creatively, though, I'm spontaneous and rebellious and kinetic - when I really get going, I create standing up! Can anyone else relate? Haha! I'd like to think I'm not nuts... but I digress.

For today's tutorial, I almost managed to stick to one medium! Please enjoy the video, showing several ways to use Distress Markers for watercoloring. I don't think I've done anything 'new' technique-wise, but these markers are pretty new to me, and I've had lots of fun exploring their properties.


To recap, a few ways that Distress Markers can be used in watercoloring:
  • Scribble marker onto a craft sheet or non-porous surface. Spritz with water, and tap watercolor paper into the color. Dry between layers of color. 
  • Pick up diluted ink with a stamp, and stamp to add texture to the background.

  • Color directly on the image, then spritz with water or blend with a brush. Or scribble on a tile or craft sheet and lift color with a wet brush. Dry completely between layers of color.

  • Splatters: Scribble as above, spritz, and lift color, then tap the brush to splatter spots of color.


If you have these markers, I hope you've learned something new that will help you get more use out of them! If you're used to working with other watercolor mediums, some of these same techniques will work as well. I love doing backgrounds with a mix of regular watercolor paints, too. Play around with what you have and see what works best for you!

Thanks for stopping by!

26 comments:

Marcella Hawley said...

Dina, Dina, Dina, DINA!!!! Thank you so much for sharing your techniques — you take my images to thrilling heights of beauty and life! I loved reading your comparison of your ‘Creative Me‘ and your ‘Everyday Me‘. That wild artistic passion compels you to get up and move around! Do it to it! :)

Allison Cope said...

Good golly Dina! This is AMAZING!! Thank you so much for taking us through your process! Love it!

Broni said...

Gorgeous work of art, Dina!!

Tosha Leyendekker said...

Amazing, as always Dina!! I have the Distress Markers, and haven't even tried coloring with them yet. You've inspired me!! Gorgeous, gorgeous work.

Katie Sims said...

Oh my word...Dina...this is one of the most beautiful things I have seen. Ever.

Susie said...

This was so timely, Dina. I have a complete set of distress markers and loved seeing you paint with them this morning. And, I loved your description of yourself. Yes, I do find myself standing a good deal of the time, although when watercoloring I do sit down. I find this type of medium very relaxing. Beautiful card and wonderful tutorial today.

Pattie J. said...

Good Morning, Dina, I have been watching your site for awhile and love the fact that you are a pencil artist. I love my pencils, and now into panpastels, using the pencils for accents when needed. I love this tutorial for markers. I would use the same technique with watercolor pencils too. As I am not into markers. so like the idea that you gave me here. May take a little longer with pencils but, that's relaxing. I really appreciate your detail information and techniques. Growing each day as I learn.....have a good day.

Dawn B. said...

Gorgeous as always. I can't wait to try this. You always have the most unique ways to color. Thanks for sharing.

ChristineCreations said...

Awesome Dina! It’s a beautiful design!

Pam said...

WOW Dina, I loved this tutorial so much!!! BTW.....gorgeous card...thanks for sharing!!!

Dawn said...

Just lovely, Dina! I learned so much by watching you watercolor. Many thanks! ♡ Dawn

Jan Castle said...

Beautiful card and beautifully done...thank you Dina for sharing exactly step by step in making it!
Jan

Margaret said...

Agree with all the above comments. Can't wait to get into my craft room to try this on my next card. TFS

Kittie said...

Gorgeous Dina!

Maire Gamber said...

Beautiful, Dina!
Hugs

Beth Norman said...

Beautiful work. I really enjoyed your tutotiral especially the part where you distressed before you stamped out your image and the water colour droplets at the end.

Conniecrafter said...

Gorgeous!!

Donna Whitten said...

Loved your tutorial! I like to use pencils. I can't seem to be able to conquer water colors, they frighten me! You've made it look so easy, I may try again. Thanks for sharing.

Cheryl O said...

Gorgeous art work and card, Dina!!! Thank you for the tutorial, well done! Loved how you started with the distressing, not only with the ink, but with the stamp as well - just lovely! Have got to try that, great technique, and so subtle!!

Rosy Newlun said...

What a fabulous tutorial and artwork! Thanks so much for sharing this, Dina ♥

Maura said...

Great tutorial - Thanks !

Chriss Blagrave said...

Beautiful card! Thanks so much for the tutorial, I just came over from Loll's blog. I learned a lot :)

Stamps and Paper said...

I found your page via Loll's blog....what an inspirational tutorial and something I am going to try...thank you for sharing....

Anne

Vicki Dutcher said...

Wow Dina - this is amazing! Thanks for a quick video with precise directions~

ps - I also found this via Loll's blog :)

kepsss said...

What a beautiful card. The video was wonderful. thank you so much.

Debbie Olson said...

Loved watching your process, Dina! Beautiful!