Wednesday

June sneak peeks start today: Lavender

Herbs! That’s what’s happenin’!

Close your eyes just for a second (but then open ‘em back up real quick because we have so much to show you today!) — can you imagine the fragrance of Lavender? It’s one of the most enduring scents of any herb, yet also one of the most soothing and delightful. If you’re having trouble conjuring up the thought, maybe take a peek at what we have in store for you this month. The sets go on sale June 1, but for today, we’ll share this lilting, lovely look...

http://powerpoppy.com/products/lavender

We plant several varieties of Lavender in our potted herb garden (that’s a fancy way of saying “the area where I cram all the pots”), and usually a few in the ground (they do not overwinter here in St. Louis especially well). But boy oh BOY are they a treat to have around — just walking by it’s hard not to wave your hand across them and release the fragrance. An instant pick-me-up for sure! When Lulu was not even two, I was even able to coax her into joining me in preparing the plants for potting...


Planting herbs is such a passion ’round here, I find myself doodling them and dreaming up ways to cook with them all spring, summer and fall. As a matter of fact, you’ll start seeing lots of posts celebrating herbs in this space, because I really can’t get enough of them. For Power Poppy’s June stamp release, which was drawn months before any herb plants were gracing our garden, I was up in the predawn hours sketching the images you’ll see today. Oftentimes, there was a cat on my arm. Not sure if Crema was helping or hindering my artistic flow, but somehow I was able to manage a dimly lit selfie...


There is a LOT to love about Lavender, and I’ve drawn several images that I think you’ll enjoy, and want to share with someone who needs a pick-me-up and a perky punch of purpley-blue color. A market basket overflowing with freshly cut stems would be perfect for a thank you card! Or maybe a friend could use the soft, soothing side of lavender, and the heart-speckled sachet image would help get those healing thoughts flowing.

I love to listen to music while I’m working, and the song “Soothe Me” by Sam and Dave (written by Sam Cooke) was on rotation as I designed this Lavender set. (I shouldn’t speak for Crema, but sitting on my arm as I drew, surely that cool cat has come to love soul music.)


I’m so excited to kick off the June release with this set, and EVEN MORE excited that the Bloom Brigade has arrived in force to share super-inspiring ways to create with it! Come take a tour, won’t you?

Allison Cope
Christine Okken
Cindy Lawrence
Danielle Kennedy
Dawn Burnworth
Julie Koerber
Kathy Jones
Leslie Miller
Stacy Morgan
Tosha Leyendekker

Thank you so much, everybody, and I would love to see you back here tomorrow for more sneak peeks of a set that was inspired by my little boy, Finn, and one of HIS passions! <3

16 comments:

Julie Koerber said...

I am so sorry but your photo make me laugh!! How many photos have you shared with your kitty trying to sit on your arm as you draw!!! Well, you know this set will be one of my favorites! ;-) Thanks for sharing your talents Ms. Marce!

Marcella Hawley said...

Jules, it is a constant struggle!!! HAHAHA!

Allison Cope said...

You have two fabulous helpers there Marcy! One little cutie-pa-tootie and a furry one!!! LOL! Another fabulous stamp set - this one is perfect for giving those fragrant lovelies to our closest friends! <3

Karen W said...

The DT all did an amazing job, beautiful set and wonderful creativity!!

Kathy Jones said...

Marcy, I just love hearing you talk about your garden and creativity - you can 'hear' your love for it!! Such an awesome post and great photos!! :)

Carol Southern said...

I so much enjoy reading your story on how these stamps come to life and that photo of your daughter Lulu is priceless.
The DT members have made some lovely things with this set. Look forward to the next few days to see what else is in store for us.

Stacy Morgan said...

Marcy I adore the picture of Lulu helping you out, thank you for sharing that with us. Awesome new set as always!

Katia said...

is so beauitful!

Bobbi Miller said...

What a lovely post, and your kitty on your arm is ADORABLE! Aren't they just the best? However, the photo of Lulu with those pots is darling! What a lovely family you have! Thanks for sharing with us! Can't wait to see the entire release!

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, my gosh, your photo of Lulu is darling! She could be an ad for a nursery or something. You know my little girl Golden Retriever is also a LuLu. She would be draped over my arm like your Crema. If I try to raise my arm she pushes it down with her chin. Don't know what she's thinking when she does that. Pretty cool selfie, by the way. Marcy, I really enjoy your stories and photos and always look forward to them. Thanks for another awesome release. I'm going to look forward to playing with these stamps throughout the month!

Tosha Leyendekker said...

I just love how you share your heart with your writing and your images!! What a precious photo of little Lulu, and Crema looks super darling and fun. LOVE this charming set Marcy!! It's a treasure!!

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Marcy, it's been such fun to read and see how you are inspired and even how you design and draw your art (especially with Crema at your "side")! That's a challenge, for sure! And Lulu! is absolutely darling and certainly could be in an ad for a nursery, as Leslie said! Thank you so much for sharing your stories and your beautiful artwork with us!! Hugs!!

Katie Sims said...

What sweet photos, Marcy! I agree with everyone else, that Lulu looks like she could be on the cover of a magazine...such a beautiful girl! I love how you share so much of your self and your creativity with all of us...right down to the little arm warmer you have while you illustrate...lol! I have one of those myself, except he is a foot warmer and a dachshund! :)

Dawn said...

Oh, Marcy! Your Lavender set is so lovely!! I love growing herbs, too, in my white picket fence herb garden. Hope we can persuade you to design a whole series of herb stamps!! ♡

loulou said...

Marcy these new images are so beautiful. Love the pictures of your little helpers - both the adorable and the furry.

Unknown said...

I love your stamps. My cat does the same thing to me. I got the "lavender" stamp set in the mail today and just LOVE, LOVE it. Thank you. Do you ever post the colors of Copics that you use to color the image?